"I Calls Em Like I Sees Em!"

Jan 10, 2011

Black Swan

I went and saw Black Swan over the weekend & back when the ladies went & saw "The Kids Are All Right" we saw a preview for it & the movie looked good but really freaking creepy so I wasn't sure I'd even be able to watch it.  Well my friend Leslie really wanted to see it but I was being a big puss & told her to check it out & report back on the scary factor & she said the movie was really good & other than a couple scenes where she covered her eyes it wasn't scary, she said it was just "some freaky shit".  Since Leslie knows me I knew I'd be able to see it & considering that the same guy who directed Requiem For a Dream directed this I figured it had to be good & moved it up to the top of my "I want to see this" list, so on Saturday we went & saw it (the theater was packed, we had to sit 2nd row & it's been out for weeks!) & here's what I thought about it.

The acting in this movie was excellent, the grittiness of this movie was very appealing especially in a time when everything is so overly 3-D & HD it was nice to see something that felt like a film.  The story of this movie however left a lot to be desired for me, it was kind of blah & I don't know if it's just because of the hype but I was pretty disappointed.  I heard that this movie was so intense & that the lesbian sex scene was so raw Natalie didn't let her parents watch it & also that the ending was so shocking I wouldn't see it coming.  Well let me tell you that aside from feeling physical pain while watching these dancers & their various physical & mental injuries it wasn't intense.  The lesbian sex scene was not raw at all (there wasn't a single bare tit or ass in the whole movie), in fact I didn't find it the least bit provocative & the ending...seriously, how could you not see it coming?

I expected to be titillated, shocked, scared, dumbfounded, turned on, effed up, all in all blown away by this movie & I wasn't & apparently I'm not the only one...the people sitting next to us left halfway through the movie.  Natalie Portman was very good, her acting was phenomenal & while a lot of people bitched to me about listening to her breathe/pant during the majority of the movie it was the one thing that kept me connected to her character.  Winona Ryder was very good as was Mila Kunis but I have to say that Barbara Hershey played the best supporting role, she was beyond crazy & I hate to say it but she looks like shit!  The work she has had done is obvious, so obvious that it makes her look older, Beaches my friends is a lifetime in the past apparently.

So, all in all the movie was good, I'd see it again but it wasn't great.  Requiem for a Dream was way better than Black Swan & it has the creepy, scary, effed up shit I was looking for so if you are looking for something similar to Requiem as well you are looking in the wrong place.  All in all I give this movie 2.5 olives out of 4, it was good but not great & maybe it's just because I went in with expectations that I felt so let down but some people must have thought it was really good or I wouldn't have had the expectations to begin with.  You should probably go see it just because of all of the critical acclaim but try to check your expectations at the door.
 Bookmark and Share

No comments: