"I Calls Em Like I Sees Em!"

Jun 18, 2008

Damn Kids!!

Ok, I know I’ve been complaining about things going on at work that shouldn’t be going on & now that school is over the season of bringing kids to work begins. We do not have a day care, so to me that makes it pretty clear that children don’t belong here. Today I’m sitting at my desk & I hear a co-worker introducing someone to the person in the cube behind me so I assume that it’s a new assistant or something & I turn around to find a 6 year old boy in the aisle. So I start asking around to find out who it belongs to & he of course doesn’t belong to the person walking around with him, he belongs to someone she assists. I understand that you either are or are not a kid person & I’m not, she might be, but regardless she’s not a babysitter! If one of the people I worked for asked me to watch their kid I would die laughing, unless they wanted to throw me a hundred bucks an hour for my troubles. What I find the most humorous is the fact that it’s men who bring them, never women, and if you can’t find someone to watch your child then you need to work from home. Just because our office has a lot of women in it doesn’t mean that we want to be around your kids, or any kids for that matter. A lot of parents work to get time away from their children & then a co-worker is going to bring theirs in completely cancelling out their peace & quiet which is rude. Luckily this kid was quiet, respectful, and not here too long but that’s pretty rare. Last summer I had 2 boys literally climbing my cube wall & dad didn’t say a word!! I said all kinds of words, colorful ones too, under my breath but I said them. After about an hour dad said “that’s enough, let’s go”…um, I’d had enough about 59 minutes ago. Basically what I’m saying is respect your co-workers, don’t bring your children to work unless it’s bring a kid to work day (which I take off every year), if it’s an emergency & you must bring them in keep it brief & keep them in your office/cube/area, understand that not everyone likes children, don’t expect anyone to modify their behavior because you brought a kid in, watch your own kids don’t pawn them off on others. If I wanted to work with kids I’d work in a day care or still be in retail, I work in an office as to avoid children & the general public, I want to come in & work & socialize with adults & then go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I actually don't mind them being here, but I hate the senseless introductions with the looooong draaaaaawn ouuuuut voice. I don't need to meet any kids that I'm not a.) related to, or b.) good friends with their parents (and I mean real friends, not work friends). There is nothing more uncomfortable to me than trying to think of something to say to a 5 year old spawn of someone that I hardly want to be around in the first place. And whenever people have their kids at work they feel the need to introduce them to everyone! Like I would be insulted if they just walked right past my cube and I didn't get to feel the sheer joy of meeting a cute kid. Just keep walking, really, I'm good.