"I Calls Em Like I Sees Em!"

Mar 9, 2009

Movie Weekend


So this past weekend I stayed in Dearborn to watch Doug's house & animals while he was off gallivanting in Kentucky with a bunch of guns. Since Doug only has basic cable my only choice was to rent movies so I chose Vicky Christina Barcelona & Nights In Rodanthe. Friday night I watched Vicky Christina & wasn't all that impressed. I thought the movie was ok, nothing special, just a story about an annoying girl, her hot friend, a Spanish artist dude & his crazy ex-wife. The crazy ex-wife is the role that won Penelope Cruz the Oscar & I just don't get it, she was good in it yes but worthy of an Oscar? I think not, though I didn't see any of the other roles for which the women were nominated so I can't really compare. I would recommend this movie if you don't have to pay for it but honestly even the $4.50 or whatever I paid was a little too much.

So Saturday afternoon I got a wonderful hour long peppermint massage & it was just what I needed to clear my head & my tension & my worries & everything else. After that I knew the best follow up would be dinner, wine & a movie with Wendy so we got some Italian then headed back to the house. We watched Nights which was good but predictable. This movie is based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks who also wrote "A Walk To Remember" and "The Notebook" both of which were pretty freaking predictable too if you ask me, though Walk was the worst of the 3, the first time I saw it, every minute I knew what was going to happen next & I never read the book. Actually I've never read any of his books because I assume that they are extremely predictable like all of the movies made about them & that doesn't interest me. Wendy on the other hand didn't see anything coming in Nights & to me it was freaking obvious, because we all know that none of his books have happy endings! Anyway, this one was more worth the rental fee because the characters were identifiable & the story seemed as though it could have been real, unlike Vicky. I would wait for cable to watch both of them if I were you but if you feel like a cry then rent Nights. I have to say one of the main reasons I liked that one better were the actors, I love both Diane Lane & Richard Gere & love them together. I would give Vicky 2 olives & Nights 2.5 (out of 4).
Bookmark and Share

No comments: