"I Calls Em Like I Sees Em!"

Feb 9, 2009

Worst Economic News In A While, For Me Anyway!!

I stole the snippets below from a Yahoo article that totally freaked me out. Whatever will I do on a Friday night?

Blockbuster. (BBI; about 60,000 employees; stock down 57%). The video-rental chain has burned cash while trying to figure out how to maximize fees without alienating customers. Its operating income has started to improve just as consumers are cutting back, even on movies. Video stores in general are under pressure as they compete with cable and Internet operators offering the same titles. A key test of Blockbuster's viability will come when two credit lines expire in August. One possible outcome, according to Valueline, is that investors take the company private and then go public again when market conditions are better.

If Blockbuster falls I may cry...I am a bit of a Blockbuster junkie & there is no way I could start using Netflix or something, the best part about renting a movie is browsing the store & reading the backs of all the movies & then renting it & watching it that night, not waiting until the next day!

Krispy Kreme. (KKD; about 4,000 employees; stock down 50%). The donuts might be good, but Krispy Kreme overestimated Americans' appetite - and that's saying something. This chain overexpanded during the donut heyday of the 1990s - taking on a lot of debt - and now requires high volumes to meet expenses and interest payments. The company has cut costs and closed underperforming stores, but still hasn't earned an operating profit in three years. And now that consumers are cutting back on everything, such improvements may fail to offset top-line declines, leading Krispy Kreme to seek some kind of relief from lenders over the next year.

If Krispy Kreme falls I think I'll go insane, how in the hell can I cope through hard times without their sugary goodness?


Bookmark and Share

No comments: