"I Calls Em Like I Sees Em!"

Oct 30, 2008

This Makes No Sense


So I don't know if you guys have seen these or not but the digital signs on the freeway have been sporting a phrase "fall is here don't veer for deer". Ok, I don't understand this one bit. Are they suggesting that we just hit them? Is the state not aware of the fact that hitting a deer at 70 mph on the Lodge will kill not just the deer, but you as well? I'm sure they have these signs posted to make people aware that deer might be taking the freeway rather than the woods in the coming months but asking you not to veer for one is like asking you to commit suicide. I love deer & think they are very cute but I would veer to avoid hitting one to avoid totalling my car & possibly ending up in the hospital, not because it's cute. I think bunnies are cute too but if one ran out in front of me on the freeway I'd run thumper right over & sure I'd feel bad but other than maybe some fur in my grill it wouldn't ruin my car. So I say let's change the phrase to "fall is here, don't hit others while veering for deer" because you have to veer to avoid the deer, the key is not veering into someone else. I think Michigan needs to find someone else to come up with these clever slogans for these signs, god knows half the state is unemployed & I'm sure someone out there is a little more bright than whomever came up with this one!!!
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Paul said...

I guess it started in Iowa in 2006. I have seen these as well and they are a little unclear as to what they actually mean. You are supposed to be alert and break within your own lane or drive off to the shoulder I guess. More info here: http://www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/pib/Releases/2006/10-05-2006_Deer.htm

DVR Slave said...

Well, when you are in the middle lane & a deer comes running out, it doesn't matter if your brakes are brand new, you aren't going to be able to stop in time to not hit the damn thing!

Paul said...

Iowa might not have 3 lane roads...it's a massive corn field.